Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS), employing available camera, Lidar or radar technology, are in worldwide deployment these days. Up to now about 180 million radar units only are worldwide circulating on our roads. Today ADAS are no longer comfort devices anymore, but they have become a safety feature for various AEB-Systems (Automatic Emergency Braking) in sedans or trucks worldwide.
However, recently it has become entirely clear that we will and have to have a definite market split already in the near future:
1. High performance automotive sensors
- powerful Lidar -and radar sensors with increased capabilities (L4/ 5), e.g. for RoboTaxis; setting-up a premium market
Henri Häfner – Velodyne, Rüsselsheim, Germany
2. Economical automotive sensors
- the trend of reduced insurance fees due to AEB system installment in cars (10% in UK)
provides the market for such standard sensors in sedans
- radar sensors for 4D and imaging application (L2/ 3)
Marlene Harter – University of Applied Science, Offenburg, Germany
3. Low priced automotive sensors, e.g. for compact cars
- Ultra Sonic (US) automotive sensors for near range pedestrian avoidance in an urban
Tobias Bahnemann – Toposens, München, Germany
The technological possibilities and the according solutions will be shown and discussed in this workshop.